Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The New Normal

I've started and stopped this post like five times since coming home with Max.  Not because it is a hard post to write (though it is hard to do that much condensing) but because I would get partway through and then be completely and totally unable to keep my eyes open for more than 5 minutes at a time.

Yeah, I'm that tired.  My night-owl, can't-fall asleep-before-1am-even-when-teaching-seminary-at-6am self is struggling to stay awake past 9:30.

This parenting stuff is not for wussies.  I knew that going in, of course, but now I am beginning to understand why.

But now it's 8:45, the little guy is in bed for the night, and I am feeling pretty good (ok, really tired and my stomach muscles are sore from bouncing a 30-pound toddler through most of Dumbo, but good anyway).  So here goes.

Max is great.  Fabulous, even.

Don't get me wrong -- he's still two, which means that today while at the eye doctor longer than he wanted to be he bit me hard enough to bruise! -- but he's still fabulous.  I can't even fathom what he is going through -- a complete upending of his entire life, language and culture -- and he is handling it better than I could hope for.  He is cheerful and affectionate.  He plays games with us.  (At this point I want to state a very personal and real thank-you to his earlier caregivers -- he came to us knowing how to play, and I cannot state how thankful I am for this). He thinks the dogs are food vaccuums.  If you can name an animal, he can tell you what sound it makes (including elephants, who say something like "a-roooo-eeee").  He sleeps through the night and eats everything on his plate (and ours).  He's so smart -- anyone have an idea for how to deal with a little guy who has figured out how to unlock and turn on the dishwasher, despite my best efforts to keep it out of sight?  He thinks having a Papa is just about the best. thing. ever.

So yeah, we're doing well.  Does he have issues?  Well, duh.  But I was prepared for a little guy far more out of sorts (read out of control) than Max, and I could not be happier with the way he is adjusting.

Best yet, it's 9pm and he is ASLEEP.  

4 comments:

  1. I knew you would rock the mom thing. I am so happy for you. One day at a time and above all else consistency will make your life easier as time goes on. :). Miss you tons. Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Love you, Love Max. I can't wait to meet him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If sleeping continues to be a problem, my pediatrician said I could give my little ones melatonin! Call your doctor and see if that is a possibility! It works wonders for me, I use it only if they are sick and can't sleep, or at daylight savings time!

    I am really happy for you Cat! Being a mom really is great!
    ~Kristy Nielsen (Kooyman)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ughhh age two is a rough one...my daughter (who is 2) just clawed my newborns cheek leaving a huge gash. Little devils one minute and angels the next....good thing we love them unconditionally :)

    ReplyDelete