Saturday, March 31, 2012

Not-So-Cowardly

When I was about ten I remember my mother writing me a note -- I still have it somewhere -- in which she told me that she hoped that I would grow up to have courage.  At the time, she meant to have the courage of my convictions, the courage to stand up for my beliefs, and the courage to make my actions reflect those beliefs.

As I look around my family today, I see courage everywhere.

I see my both of my brothers on the other side of the world, both standing up for an ideal.  One of them is headed into a war zone while the other has spent two years learning a language that looks like spaghetti (Georgian, if you're curious) -- but both of them are living courageously.

I see my sister-in-law as she says a long farewell to her husband while surrounded by five children. I can't even imagine what that would be like.  And yet she has faced it all with grace and perseverance.

And I see the two newest members of our family -- two children home for less than a month who have joined us from the other side of the world.  They came to our family without knowing the language, without knowing our customs, without even knowing what it means to be part of a family.  But Max and his cousin Vi are handling this complete upheaval of their lives with more courage in their pinky fingers than most of us display in a lifetime.

There are no cowardly lions in this family, I assure you.  Not a one.




1 comment:

  1. დიდი მადლობა. მიყვარხარ ძალიან.

    ReplyDelete