Monday, March 26, 2012

Watching the Grass Grow

He's been home a month already!  It's almost impossible to believe, let me tell you.  As I was putting him to bed this evening I suddenly realized how much had changed in this month, not just in terms of our lives, but also in terms of our relationships.

It's hard to be the mother of a two-year-old that you don't know.  You don't know what things he loves, you don't know what will set him off.  I think that by the time most moms get to the toddler stage they already know things like, "He hates having to take off clothes and shoes except before a bath."  When we took him to his first pediatrician's check-up (two days after we got back) I didn't know this and we all...well...kinda freaked.  Today when we went in for a follow-up I knew this going in.

It's the little things that make a difference.

I feel like I am watching the grass grow.  I can't lie on the lawn and watch the green blades lengthen, and I can't look out at the end of each day and see a difference.  And yet at the end of each week, it's time to get out the lawnmower.

Small steps.

So what have we been up to?

We've done a few chores.

We've hung out where all the other Crawford (fur)babies seem to hang out.

We've toured around the neighborhood.

We've hung out at the nursery school with Babushka.

We've made friends with the dogs.

We've been to the zoo.

We've inspired bad poetry:

Only you
Could lose your shoe
At the zoo.

We've gone for walks in the woods with Dyedushka.

We've thrown countless pebbles into the lake.

We've tried out the slide headfirst...

...and we've decided we like it better that way!

Green grass growing.







No comments:

Post a Comment