Friday, April 6, 2012

One Year Ago Today

I'm not generally a person that remembers dates.  Really -- ask my best friend.  She can tell you that any scheduled event in my life tends to occur give or take a week.

So I find it odd that I can remember exactly where I was one year ago today.

Last year on this day I spent most of the day at the IVF clinic for an egg retrieval.  Jason was there with me, I got to wear one of those super-sexy hospital gowns, and my ovaries were the size of softballs (yes, it was incredibly uncomfortable, if you are wondering).  And I distinctly remember telling Jason that I had a good feeling about this one -- that this was going to be the time that worked.  And I suppose that last time was the closest we ever got but still...not so much.  It was wrenching and I came so close to giving up on having a family at all.

And yet tonight as I write this, Max is asleep upstairs in a room full of monkeys after a day at the zoo.

So much can change in a year.

I don't know exactly what exactly Max was doing a year ago today, but I know just where he was.  And (as I think I have said before) while his baby home was not the sad, awful place that so many people imagine an orphanage to be, neither was it a home.  There were no sloppy dog kisses, no cuddles with Mama and Papa, no trips to the zoo, and no cookies to bake when you get up from nap.

And yet tonight as I write this, Max is asleep upstairs in a room full of monkeys after a day at the zoo.

So much can change in a year.  

1 comment:

  1. Because of Jason's sister, Alison, I have been reading your blog. I absolutely love this post.

    ReplyDelete