Thursday, November 1, 2012

...And we survived...

November as it turns out, is NaBloPoMo (National Blog Posting Month) and also National Adoption Awareness Month.  I will do my best to participate in both of these happenings.

But for now I have other things on my mind.  

Like the fact that I am sitting at home with my parents, my sister-in-law and her 5 kids after feeding 12 of us for dinner.  There will be 9 people sleeping all over my house tonight.  Yesterday, I had all of them plus another friend and her 4 kids over for the day.

Why, you ask?

Because I have power.

Sandy knocked us all out around dinnertime on Monday.  It's now bedtime on Saturday.

This is not a complaining post.  It is a grateful one.  The truth is that after Irene last year, the satellite images of Frankenstorm scared the heck out of me.  After the lights went out on Monday the three of us huddled in bed and I listened to trees snapping and splitting in the wind.  

And I woke up around 6am to find the lights on. 

Grateful doesn't even cut it.

That day I was literally the only person I knew with power.  Not an hour away, whole neighborhoods have washed away.  Trees are down everywhere.  School has been out all week and the grocery aisles smell like fishsticks.  And I have internet.  

Like I said, grateful doesn't even cut it.  

And I figure that's a pretty decent way to start out the month.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that you guys weathered this storm so well!

    ReplyDelete