Monday, November 5, 2012

Halloween Revisited

So tonight was Halloween.

Yeah, you heard me.

Why?  Cause our governor picked it up and moved it.  Of course it had to be done -- on the real Halloween no one had power and many of us has trees/sand/water in the house.  No one could go out on Halloween night.

So the governor freaking changed the date.

Awesome.

What all this has meant for us and our extended family is a reeeally loooong  Hallllooweeeen.

It started about a month ago when I started sewing Max's costume.  He went as a lion.  And no, he didn't really get a choice about it.  Lions are just what we do in my family.  But whatever -- my little guy is so obsessed with animals that he thought it sounded great.  (Phew.  I would hate to have had to put the smack down on my two-year-old.)

So seriously, I sewed his costume.  Which means that it was fifty times as much work and five times as expensive as the costume you get at Target.  (I'm not sure how much of that I realized going into it -- in the old days my mom used to make our costumes because it was actually cheaper.)  But work and expense aside, I am so glad I managed to do it -- I mean look at this guy:


We did all the Halloween-y stuff, of course.  We went to the pumpkin patch and carved a pumpkin:



Before the storm we went to the Trunk-or-Treat over at church -- which we knew was going to be our major celebration this year.  Jason's mom had sent us a pop-up book all about Halloween so by the time we got there, Max had his "trick-or-treat!" pretty much perfect.  (When he realized that people would give him candy while wearing his costume it also made the wearing of said costume much more fun!)




And then it happened:
Credit: http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/NaturalHazards/view.php?id=79553
And Halloween was cancelled.

Actually on the 31st I had the crew over at my house (for warmth) and explaining the whole thing to Max and The Cousins was...traumatic.  Enough said.

Except then the governor saved the day!

Trick-or-Treating was a blast.  Of course.  I think it took Max about one house before he decided that walking around in the cold and dark and getting candy was just about the Best. Thing. Ever.

Ever.  




Happy Halloween Little Guy.  Nevermind that it's November 5.




3 comments:

  1. Way to go on the costume! It looks awesome! I'm glad you still got to have Halloween, even if it was delayed. It really is fun to watch little ones discover this holiday for the first time. I actually used to really dislike Halloween... until I had kids. Hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That costume is beautiful!! My mom used to make all our costumes too. I tried it last year, but I don't think I'll be doing it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That costume is amazing! Good job! I love that NJ rescheduled Halloween - gottakeep the important things in view.

    ReplyDelete